New friction hoist will be an energy efficient, reliable solution with the latest hoist safety features
- ABB to design, install and commission friction hoist at Mosaic’s new K3 potash mine
- Scope of supply includes largest mine hoist electrical powertrain in North America at 15,800kW
- Control, automation and electrical systems to provide the highest levels of efficiency, reliability and safety
ABB announced that it will design, deliver, install and commission the friction hoist with all related mechanical and electrical systems for Mosaic’s new K3 potash mine in Saskatchewan, Canada. The greenfield mine is an expansion of Mosaic’s established potash mining operations in the area. The K3 mine, located east of the Town of Esterhazy, in Saskatchewan , has reached potash at a depth of 3,350 feet.
Potash is a naturally occurring mineral created during the evaporation of ancient sea beds; it is the most widely used potassium fertilizer for crop nutrients. Through its operations, Mosaic is committed to helping the world grow the food it needs.
For this project, ABB will supply the production hoist and all related mechanical and electrical systems at the South shaft of the K3 mine. Mechanical equipment for the friction hoist will include ABB’s high power, low speed synchronous motor and ABB’s newest SIL 3 rated Safety Brake System to provide the highest level of safety, security and reliability for hoist operation. At 15,800 kW, this will be the largest mine hoist electrical powertrain in North America. ABB will also supply the hoist control system, other power infrastructure and automation equipment, as well as engineering, turnkey installation and commissioning, and other services.
The new hoist is scheduled to be commissioned in 2021.
ABB has an established working history with Mosaic. ABB had previously delivered a similar scope of supply for the smaller K2 mine hoist nearby; the new installation will be able to use common capital spares and other parts already purchased by Mosaic for cost-efficient, long-term operation.
“ABB’s strong reputation as a trusted supplier to the Canadian potash industry, technology vision, ability to deliver and local after sales service and support resources were also factors in this project award,” said Gerry Couture, VP of VP Capital and Engineering, The Mosaic Company.
The Mosaic Company is one of the world's leading producers and marketers of concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients. Mosaic is a single source provider of phosphates and potash fertilizers and feed ingredients for the global agriculture industry.
- Study for the Optimisation of Mine Water Management in the Ukraine
- Boliden appoints new President Business Area Mines
- Savannah Resources engages Hatch for Mina do Barroso lithium project in Portugal
- DMT expands its Business to Raw Materials for Electric Mobility
- Eurovia signs an Agreement to acquire the Civil Engineering Company TNT in Québec in Canada