Anglo American plc (“Anglo American”) announces that Ian Ashby will join the Board as a non-executive director, with effect 25 July 2017.
Mr Ashby has 37 years of experience in the mining industry, including 25 years in a wide variety of roles with BHP Billiton, ultimately leading the company’s iron ore business. Since retiring from BHP Billiton in 2012, Mr Ashby has taken on a number of advisory and non-executive roles with other mining and related organisations.
Sir John Parker, Chairman of Anglo American, said: “I look forward to welcoming Ian Ashby to Anglo American’s Board. Ian’s leadership in major new mining projects and his depth of operational and commercial experience across numerous commodities and mining jurisdictions will further enrich our board discussions.”
About Ian Ashby
Ian Ashby, age 59, served as President of Iron Ore for BHP Billiton between 2006 and 2012, when he retired from the company. During his 25-year tenure with BHP Billiton, Ian held numerous roles in its iron ore, base metals and gold businesses in Australia, the USA, and Chile, as well as projects roles in the corporate office.
He began his career as an underground miner at the Mount Isa Mines base metals operations in Queensland, Australia. He has served as a non-executive director of New World Resources PLC and Genco Shipping & Trading, and has served in an advisory capacity with Apollo Global Management and Temasek. He is currently a non-executive director of Nevsun Resources Ltd. and Alderon Iron Ore Corp. Mr Ashby holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mining) degree from the University of Melbourne in Australia.
Board of Directors
Following Mr Ashby’s appointment, the Anglo American plc Board of Directors will be comprised as follows.
- Sir John Parker
- Mark Cutifani – chief executive
- Stephen Pearce – finance director
- Tony O’Neill – technical director
- Sir Philip Hampton
- Ian Ashby (from 25 July 2017)
- Nolitha Fakude
- Byron Grote
- Mphu Ramatlapeng
- Jim Rutherford
- Anne Stevens
- Jack Thompson
Source: Anglo American
- Boliden appoints new President Business Area Mines
- Amberg Technologies Ltd.: New Managing Director
- Savannah Resources engages Hatch for Mina do Barroso lithium project in Portugal
- Endomines commences Employee Co-operation Negotiations at the Pampalo Mine in Finland
- Strabag awarded Tunnelling Contract for Sirius Minerals’ North Yorkshire Polyhalite Project