Anglo American plc Production Report for the fourth quarter ended 31 December 2017.
Anglo American reports a 5% increase in total production on a copper equivalent basis for 2017. This was achieved despite actions taken to remove higher cost volumes in platinum and metallurgical coal, which resulted in a 2% decrease in Q4 2017 copper equivalent production compared to Q4 2016(1).
Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive of Anglo American, said: “We have delivered another strong operating performance in 2017. The 5% increase for the full year reflects our ongoing focus on productivity and was achieved despite the removal of unprofitable and higher cost platinum and metallurgical coal volumes, consistent with our disciplined, value-led approach to production. The ramp-up of Gahcho Kué and Grosvenor mines made positive contributions to our production profile in 2017, and a strong performance from Sishen resulted in an 8% increase in production from Kumba Iron Ore.”
- De Beers production increased by 5% supported by stronger trading conditions, with Gahcho Kué operating at nameplate capacity since Q2 2017.
- Copper production increased marginally to 148,600 tonnes. Collahuasi achieved record production in the year, driven by continued strong plant performance and higher grades.
- Platinum production decreased by 4% and palladium by 5% following the decision in Q3 2017 to remove unprofitable ounces by placing Bokoni on care and maintenance. Mogalakwena delivered a record production year driven by further productivity improvements.
- Kumba Iron Ore production for the full year increased by 8% to 45 million tonnes driven by improved productivity.
- Metallurgical Coal production for the full year increased marginally to 19.7 million tonnes, with Grosvenor’s ramp-up and record productivity levels at underground operations offset by the removal of higher cost volumes at Dawson.
- Nickel production of 11,400 tonnes was a record quarter.
Source: Anglo American
- Boliden appoints new President Business Area Mines
- Savannah Resources engages Hatch for Mina do Barroso lithium project in Portugal
- Endomines commences Employee Co-operation Negotiations at the Pampalo Mine in Finland
- Strabag awarded Tunnelling Contract for Sirius Minerals’ North Yorkshire Polyhalite Project
- Cimic's Thiess secures $140 Million Mt Owen Increase