LKAB Minerals sells 1.3 million tonnes of the iron ore product MagnaDense to Wasco Coatings Europe GmbH. Wasco will use MagnaDense in the production of high density concrete, to coat the pipes for Nord Stream 2.
”We are pleased that Wasco have chosen MagnaDense from LKAB Minerals, it is a proof of our high and consistent product quality. MagnaDense has been used in many large pipe coating projects previously, as an example the Tuxpan pipeline in Mexico and the first Nord Stream pipeline. That we have been selected to supply to this project confirms our position as market leaders” Leif Boström, CEO of LKAB Minerals states.
MagnaDense is used in the production of high density concrete that will be used for the concrete weight coating of the pipes. One pipe section weighs 24 tonnes of which half is derived from the heavy concrete that will help to keep the pipe stable on the seabed.
The deliveries of MagnaDense will commence already in May and be ongoing until early 2019. MagnaDense will be shipped from LKAB’s port in Narvik to Wasco’s coating plants in Finland (Kotka) and Germany (Mukran). The proximity to the source of iron ore and the efficient logistical solutions support the ambition to minimise the environmental impact of the project.
Facts about LKAB Minerals
LKAB Minerals is an international industrial minerals group with a leading position in a number of product applications. LKAB Minerals has offices, production units and deposits in 12 countries in Europe, Asia and USA with 300 employees and sales of 160 MEURO in 2016. LKAB Minerals is part of the Swedish state owned company LKAB, one of the world’s leading producers of highly upgraded iron ore products.
Facts about MagnaDense
MagnaDense is an iron ore product produced from the mineral magnetite, which has been processed to match the needs of the end user industries. Its size distribution, high iron content and density makes it ideal for use as loose ballast or as an aggregate when producing high density concrete.
- Pöyry awarded environmental Impact Assessment Assignment for Kafue Gorge Lower Hydropower Project in Zambia, Africa
- Fugro undertakes marine and land surveys for strategic UAE Hail and Ghasha Gas Development in the United Arab Emirates
- Pöyry awarded Owner's Engineer Services Assignment for a large gas-fired combined Cycle Power Plant Project in Malaysia
- Balfour Beatty Joint Venture awarded Contract for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Fugro to play pivotal Role in Norway’s largest ever Highway Project