Zesco has awarded Pöyry with an Environmental Impact Assessment assignment for the Kafue Gorge Lower (KGL) Hydropower Project (HPP) in Zambia.
The 750 MW Kafue Gorge Lower Hydropower Project is part of the long-term solution to address the increasing gap between energy demand and supply in Zambia. The project is closely linked to the electricity development plans for promotion of renewable energy in Zambia. The project is located in southern Zambia on the Kafue River, a primary tributary of the Zambezi River and about 60 km south of the capital Lusaka.
The scope of the assignment covers the undertaking of an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) study of the downstream areas of the KGL HPP site; incorporate the findings of the downstream study into the KGL HPP EISA as an addendum, and update the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) for KGL HPP; and review and update the associated Transmission Lines ESIA and Resettlement and Compensation Action Plan (RCAP) to a bankable level.
"Delivering clean, renewable energy projects like this can aid economic growth and social progress and help alleviate poverty in developing countries. This project further strengthens Pöyry's position as one of the world's leading hydropower engineering consultancies" says Richard Pinnock, President of Pöyry's Energy Business Group.
The value of the order is not disclosed. The order was recognised within the Energy Business Group order stock in H2 2017.
- Pöyry awarded Feasibility Study Assignment for Shnogh Hydropower Project in Armenia
- Eiffage strengthens its Position in Spain in Energy with the Acquisition of EDS Ingeniería y Montajes
- Oyu Tolgoi notified of Government of Mongolia’s Cancellation of Power Sector Cooperation Agreement
- Pöyry presents Results of Feasibility Study for first Waste-to-Energy Plant in Chile
- Pöyry awarded Engineering Services Assignment for Expansion of Outokumpu Mine in Kemi, Finland