- Part of largest Swedish road construction and tunnelling project, Stockholm Bypass
- Contract value of about €45 million
- Order includes the construction of two parallel tunnel bores with a total length of 2.5 km
Strabag Sverige AB, a subsidiary of Strabag SE, has been awarded an approx. € 45 million contract from the Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) to build the Akalla Motorway Tunnel. The tunnel is part of the Stockholm Bypass, a motorway ring around the Swedish capital and currently the largest road construction and tunnelling project in the country. The order comprises the construction of two parallel tunnel bores including roadway with a total length of about 2.5 km (2 x 1.23 km) using conventional drilling and blasting as well as the necessary facilities for electricity, water and waste water. Injection systems will be used to further stabilise the rock. Construction is to begin in January 2018 and is scheduled for completion in June 2021.
“We are pleased and honoured that we can continue our successful working relationship with the Swedish Transport Administration on the important Stockholm Bypass project,” says Thomas Birtel, CEO of Strabag SE. The Stockholm Bypass is being built in the north-western part of the city as a 21 km, six-lane motorway ring with the designation “E4”. The entire approx. € 3.1 billion project is to be completed in 2025.
Worldwide tunnelling activities
Through its subsidiary Züblin Scandinavia AB, Strabag is currently already working on another section of the Akalla subproject for the Stockholm Bypass. Further projects that have already been completed in Sweden include the transportation projects Northern Link and City Line in Stockholm and Marieholm Tunnel in Göteborg. Strabag is also active in the neighbouring Scandinavian countries with tunnelling projects such as Ulriken Tunnel in Norway and the new City Circle Line in the Danish capital of Copenhagen.
Source: Strabag SE
- Pöyry awarded basic Design Engineering Services Assignment for Beyhan II Dam and Hydroelectric Power Plant in Turkey
- Grand Paris, a 500th Project for CBE Group
- Fischer Heavy Duty Fixings in the Guiyang Metro Line 1 in China
- New Hatch Office opens in Melbourne
- Salini Impregilo wins ITA Award for its Tunneling Expertise in Anacostia River Tunnel Project, Washington D.C.