Wintershall awarded seven offshore exploration licenses in Brazil’s 15th oil and gas licensing round.
Wintershall is continuing its growth course and has now been awarded exploration licenses in Brazil. In its 15th bidding round, Brazil’s National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels (ANP) has awarded interests in seven licenses to Germany's largest internationally active oil and gas producer. The company will hold the operatorship for four of these licenses. The licenses are located off the north and south-east coasts of Brazil. Initial exploration activities in the allocated blocks are now being planned and will take place from 2019. Wintershall has already been active in South America for several decades. It has been producing, for example, hydrocarbons in Argentina for almost 40 years – mainly natural gas – and is now the country's fourth-largest gas producer.
“The coast of Brazil is considered one of the most promising oil regions in the world. As part of our growth course we're also looking to become active in new regions, and Brazil offers considerable potential,” says Thilo Wieland, Wintershall’s Executive Board member responsible for South America, Russia and North Africa. “Over the past few months we’ve evaluated a lot of data and interpreted the geology. The blocks show huge potential. We want to build a broad and diversified portfolio in Brazil and be active in different basins.”
ANP issued a total of 47 licenses in the 15th bidding round.
The following licenses have been awarded to Wintershall:
- Off the north coast:
- Ceara Basin
- CE-M-601 Wintershall 100% (Operator)
- Potiguar Basin
- POT-M-857 Wintershall 100% (Operator)
- POT-M-863 Wintershall 100% (Operator)
- POT-M-865 Wintershall 100% (Operator)
- Off the south-east coast:
- Campos Basin and Santos Basin
- S-M-764 Chevron (40%, Operator), Repsol (40%), Wintershall (20%)
- C-M-821 Repsol (40%, Operator) Chevron (40%), Wintershall (20%)
- C-M-823 Repsol (40%, Operator) Chevron (40%), Wintershall (20%)
- Pöyry awarded technical Consultancy Assignment for Inter RAO Export Power Plant Project in Cuba
- Leading geotechnical Engineer named as Fugro Chair in Geotechnics
- Strategic Market Entry into the Wind Power Market in China
- Porr to build another Gas Pipeline in Poland
- Strabag takes on another Section of Alto Maipo Hydropower Project in Chile