From Saturday, 16. June 2018
To Thursday, 21. June 2018
Location Vancouver, Canada
Human existence and progress is based on a sustainable supply of energy, minerals and water. In order to provide resources, we must understand the complexity of the Earth. Equally important is the need to develop and utilize these resources in better and cleaner ways that minimize impacts. Success will require a consensus on how we work together.
The International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), the Canadian Federation of Earth Sciences (CFES), the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM), the Geological Association of Canada (GAC) and the Mineralogical Association of Canada (MAC) are partnering to bring industry, academia and governments and civil society together to tackle these issues.
The Resources for Future Generations conference (RFG2018) takes its theme from a new IUGS initiative of the same name designed to mobilize geoscientists, policy-makers and other stakeholders to explore resource and related sustainability issues.
Success of RFG2018 will include:
- A well-run, diverse conference providing all participants with broad learning experiences, and opportunities to interact with peers and others from different disciplines and backgrounds
- Measured by the breadth of sessions and forums and collective participation
- Strong participation by diverse groups including geoscientists, engineers, social scientists, and policy experts from academia, government and industry; indigenous people, civil society, and young people
- Measured by the demographics and background of participants and their level of engagement
- A new shared awareness of natural resources, the distinct opportunities and challenges among these resources, future needs, issues and solutions, and a path forward
- Measured by the development of a consensus regarding further work, initiatives and future conferences
- Excitement among participants and the general public – a new belief that there are ways to meet our needs in the future consistent with long term sustainability goals
- Measured by media, public uptake and engagement
More informatione: here
Hits : 1104