- Proven dual pinion ring-geared mill drive technology to support grinding operations amid expansion of the world’s second largest underground iron ore mine
ABB, power and automation technology group, has won an order to supply a dual pinion high-speed ring-geared mill drive (RMD) system for LKAB’s latest grinding circuit expansion at the Malmberget iron ore mine in Swedish Lappland.
The RMD system is designed in a bypass configuration, allowing LKAB to start two separate mills in sequence, compared to just one in the traditional setup. This reduces plant footprint and increases operational efficiency at Malmberget, which supplies iron ore to customers including the European steel industry.
LKAB’s plant is the second-largest underground iron ore mine in the world, with an annual output of more than five million tons of high-grade pellets. LKAB is upgrading its ore processing capability by adding this RMD system as part of a continuous program of expansion in an area that has been home to iron ore mining since the mid-18th century.
ABB and LKAB have a long partnership, with ABB having delivered complete mine hoist systems to Malmberget in northern Sweden in 2007 and 2011.
“ABB’s innovative and advanced system solution, strong local presence and the long-term relationship with LKAB, were important factors in signing this agreement,” said Giuseppe di Marco, managing director of BU Process Industries.
For this latest order, ABB’s complete scope of supply includes a 5 MW (megawatt) and 2.8 MW motor, both powered by an ACS 5000 drive, a converter transformer and an advanced integrated mill controller.
The contract was awarded in February 2015. Installation is due to begin at the end of September with operations expected to start in December.
- Investment Priority for predictive Maintenance
- Norilsk Nickel Joins Responsible Sourcing Blockchain Network
- Pharmaceutical Salt – Transportation Medium for the Corona Vaccine
- Resources sector pulls out all Stops to keep regions Covid-safe: QRC
- Nominations for the Hatch–CIM Mining and Minerals Project Development Safety Award are open!