Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive of Anglo American, said: “Production is up 2%(1) for the quarter, due to the successful ramp-up at Minas-Rio and strong performance at Metallurgical Coal following the longwall moves and plant upgrade work in Q1.
Kumba Iron Ore continues to improve following Q1 production challenges. De Beers, in view of prevailing market conditions, will continue to produce to demand for the year. We remain broadly on track overall to deliver this full year’s production targets, with an increase to Minas-Rio guidance offsetting two reductions at De Beers and Kumba Iron Ore.”
- De Beers’ diamond production decreased by 14% to 7.7 million carats in the quarter, as we continue to produce to market demand and as Venetia transitions from open pit to underground.
- Copper production increased by 1% to 159,100 tonnes due to strong performance at Los Bronces and Collahuasi.
- Platinum production increased by 3%(2) to 520,300 ounces and palladium decreased by 1%(2) to 347,200 ounces, due to a change in mix of production from each operation.
- Kumba’s iron ore production decreased by 9% to 10.5 million tonnes due to plant maintenance.
- Minas-Rio’s iron ore production was 5.9 million tonnes as its strong ramp-up continues ahead of schedule.
- Metallurgical coal production increased by 11% to 5.8 million tonnes due to generally stronger performance and the completion of Q1 longwall moves.
- Thermal coal production decreased by 8% to 6.6 million tonnes primarily due to local drought conditions at Cerrejón.
- Copper equivalent production is normalised to reflect closure of Voorspoed (De Beers) and Sibanye-Stillwater Rustenburg material that has transitioned to a tolling arrangement (Platinum Group Metals). Excluding the impact of Minas-Rio, Group copper equivalent production is down 4% in the quarter.
- Normalised for the transition of Sibanye-Stillwater Rustenburg material from purchased concentrate to a tolling arrangement.
Source: Anglo American
- Implenia on Track to a successful Implementation of the Strategy
- Anglo American leads the Way on IRMA Standard for Responsible Mining
- Global Silver Production to Recover from 2020 to exceed 1B ounces by 2023
- SMT Scharf AG reports profitable Growth in H1 2019
- Anglo American approves Aquila hard coking Coal Project in Australia