Boliden has signed an agreement with Agder Energi for fossil-free electricity supplies in Sweden and Finland. The agreement covers a total electricity supply of 1,000 GWh per year and runs for 15 years from 2022.
“Through this agreement, we ensure further competitive and climate-smart electricity supply to several of our units. This is particularly important as the electrification of our processes continues to increase in the coming years”, says Mikael Staffas, President and CEO, Boliden.
Currently, electricity accounts for 70 percent of energy consumption at Boliden’s mines and smelters. This proportion has increased over the years as fossil energy types have been replaced. As the remaining fossil fuels continue to be phased out gradually, the proportion of electricity will increase further. Boliden’s goal is to reduce the carbon dioxide intensity, CO2 emissions per unit of metal produced, by 40 percent by 2030*.
As a result of the agreement, it will be possible to commission further fossil-free electricity production in both Sweden and Finland.
- Pekka Vauramo to continue as President and CEO of Metso Outotec until the end of 2023
- Sedgman wins Contract Extensions in QLD
- Metso Outotec and Boliden renew Service Contract for the Aitik Copper Mine in Sweden
- Costain Part of Proving Hydrogen can be distributed via existing Gas Networks
- Epiroc wins large Mining Equipment Order in Russia