Canada’s metals & mining industry saw a drop of 44.7% in overall deal activity during December 2019, when compared with the last 12-month average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
A total of 21 deals worth $1.72bn were announced in December 2019, compared to the 12-month average of 38 deals.
M&A was the leading category in the month in terms of volume with 15 deals which accounted for 71.4% of all deals.
In second place was private equity with six deals accounting for 28.6% of overall deal activity in the country’s metals & mining industry during the month.
In terms of value of deals, M&A was the leading deal category in Canada’s metals & mining industry with total deals worth $1.72bn, while private equity deals totalled $4.75m.
Canada metals & mining industry deals in December 2019: Top deals
The top five metals & mining industry deals accounted for 92.9% of the overall value during December 2019.
The combined value of the top five metals & mining deals stood at $1.6bn, against the overall value of $1.72bn recorded for the month.
The top five metals & mining industry deals of December 2019 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Gold Mountains (H.K.) International MiningLimited’s $1.03bn acquisition of Continental Gold
- The $286.79m asset transaction with Barrick Gold by Teranga Gold
- Gold Mountains (H.K.) International Mining Limited’s $145.56m acquisition of Ivanhoe Mines
- The $74m asset transaction with Kinross Gold by Maverix Metals
- Newcrest Mining’s acquisition of Lundin Gold for $60.39m.
- New Research shows Mining Industry Response to Brumadinho still weak
- GHH develops new MX-42 for Underground Hard Mining - First in his Class
- First Batch of rapid Test Kits for new Coronaviruses arrives in Brazil
- ISO Certification of Normet India
- Canada’s Metals & Mining Industry sees a significant Rise in Deal Activity in February 2020