Workers have completed the installation of all the piers on the west side of the Polcevera riverbed in Genoa across which will stretch the bridge being built by PerGenova, a joint-venture between Salini Impregilo and Fincantieri. With the installation of Pier 1 to support a ramp of the A10 Highway, the number of piers completed has reached 15 out of a total of 18.
It is the latest milestone completed in record time for a project that is complex in terms of coordinating the various activities, from driving piles into the ground to pouring concrete for their foundations to putting together and installing the sections of the deck.
The piers, some of which measure about 90 m in height - 50 of which below ground - are being installed by Salini Impregilo, like all the other structures of reinforced concrete. Workers are preparing the next sections of the deck that will be raised atop the piers in the coming days. A total of 350 m of the deck has already be set into place. The steel sections are made by Fincantieri at its plants in Valeggio sul Mincio, Castellammare di Stabia and Sestri Ponente.
Once completed, the bridge, which will comprise 67,000 m³ of concrete, will be a smart and sustainable structure. It will have sensors and robots to maintain and inspect the structure, with power supplied by solar panels. The data it will collect from the sensors will be used to inform the design of similar structures in the future.
Source: Salini Impregilo
- Fugro increases Houston Laboratory advanced Soil Testing Capacity
- New Research shows Mining Industry Response to Brumadinho still weak
- ISO Certification of Normet India
- Leading the Industry by Making the System Standard on Hydraulic Excavators introducing “KomVision Human Detection & Collision Mitigation System” to the Japanese Market
- Review: Bauer Maschinen Group at the Conexpo-CON/AGG