Boliden has decided to invest SEK 750 m in a leaching plant at Rönnskär. The plant, expected to be operational at the end of 2020, aims to extract more metal from residual material. Simultaneously, the amount of waste for disposal in the deep repository at Rönnskär will be reduced.
"The investment is fully in line with our strategy to extract as much metal as technically possible from existing raw materials. This significant improvement in Rönnskär’s resource efficiency will both enhance the smelter’s competitiveness and reduce the volumes of materials for disposal, says Kerstin Konradsson, President Boliden Smelters.
The leaching plant comprises a new 45 x 135 meter building located next to the quay in the Rönnskär industrial area. The plant is scheduled to come on line at the end of 2020, provided that the environmental permit for the plant is granted as expected in September 2018. The annual production will total 25 ktonnes of lead sulphate and 25 ktonnes of copper/zinc sulphate.
The investment follows the ongoing investment of SEK 650 m in the deep repository at Rönnskär, expected to be completed by 2020.
- Resources surge with renewes Confidence and increased Exploration
- Investment in increased Capacity at Boliden Rönnskär in Sweden
- MMG completes Sale of Sepon Mine
- German Manufacturers of Mining Equipment expect Turnover to increase by 12 per cent
- Boliden appointed new General Manager for Boliden Kokkola