Partnership to pursue potential pilot projects
Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG) wholly-owned subsidiary Atura Power is laying the groundwork for low-carbon hydrogen production and the creation of regional hubs in Ontario by partnering with Ontario-headquartered global engineering, project management, and professional services firm Hatch on a feasibility study for several hydrogen demonstration projects.
Development of a hydrogen economy using Ontario’s clean electricity to help meet climate change goals hinges in part on creating hydrogen hubs to co-locate hydrogen producers, infrastructure and users. This study looks at the feasibility of demonstration projects to progress hydrogen hubs at a variety of locations in Ontario anchored around electricity assets.
Low-carbon hydrogen has the potential to reduce or offset emissions in a variety of applications, including:
- to power fuel cells in vehicles, which could help replace diesel engines in the heavy-duty and long-haul trucking industry
- as an energy substitute for high-emitting industrial applications such as steel- and cement-making
- by blending hydrogen with natural gas to reduce carbon impact.
Atura Power has ownership for the development of this new hydrogen-related business to progress this clean fuel solution from concept to practical, every-day use.
As an enabler of clean energy, Atura Power is positioned to help build the hydrogen economy to assist in OPG and its subsidiary companies’ goal of being a net-zero carbon company by 2040 and acting as a catalyst for efficient, economy-wide decarbonization by 2050, as promised in OPG’s Climate Change Plan.
- Ontario Companies power forward on Hydrogen
- Fugro minimises in-person Inspections with new Floating Offshore Wind real-time Monitoring Solution
- Nordic Mining commissions Hatch and Sweco as Project Management Consultant for the Engebø Project
- Norwegian Data Analytics Software to smarten Predictive Maintenance in the Oil & Gas Industry
- Voith Hydro and Swedish Mine Storage enter Development Partnership for the Advancement of Decarbonization