Porr has been awarded the tender by PKP PLK S.A. to modernise a section of the "Metropolitan Railway Beltway" of the Upper Silesian industrial zone (Polish: Górnośląski Okręg Przemysłowy). The construction project is worth EUR 60m (PLN 256.6m) and is already the sixth railway construction project to be realised by Porr in South Poland. The total value of all six contracts concluded with the Polish railway infrastructure companies amounts to around EUR 350m overall. The project is set for completion within 40 months and will be realised as a Design & Build contract.
"We are delighted to be involved in modernising the railway lines in South Poland. Our latest tender is of huge significance to the entire metropolitan region of the Upper Silesian industrial zone. What's more, the whole region will benefit from these measures," said Karl-Heinz Strauss, CEO of Porr AG.
Porr's scope of services consists of modernisation works on a four-kilometre-long section of the railway line 132 from Bytom to Zabrze Biskupice, part of the line 147 to Maciejów, as well as a 15-kilometre-long section of the 180 line from Dorota to Mysłowice Brzezinka. In addition, Porr will be carrying out modernisation works on platform 3 of Bytom Bobrek station on the 188 line.
The contract signed by Porr involves one of two tasks put out to tender by PKP PLK S.A. as part of the infrastructure project "Works on the railway lines Nr. 132, 147, 161, 180, 188, 654, 655, 657 and 658 in the sections Gliwice-Bytom, Chorzów Stary-Mysłowice and Dorota-Mysłowice Brzezinka".
The complex infrastructure project includes realising works on the tracks and catenary as well as modernising engineering structures, viaducts and crossovers, in addition to the entire control, safety and telecoms system. In the course of the works, a total of 34 kilometres of track and 32 sets of points will be replaced, while 21 rail crossings will modernised or reconstructed.
Facts and figures at a glance
- Project name: Design and execution of construction works on the railway lines 132 Bytom to Zabrze Biskupice, 147 to Maciejów, 180 from Dorota to Mysłowice Brzezinka and 188 to Bytom Bobrek station
- Client: PKP PLK S. A.
- Contractor: Porr S. A.
- Scope of services: Design & Build
- Completion: 40 months
- Contract volume: approx. EUR 60m net (PLN 256.6m net)
- Strabag building Hatta pumped Storage Power Plant in Dubai
- Salini Impregilo Group wins Tunnelling Contract in Washington, U.S.A.
- Railway Tender Conference 2019 in Norway
- Skanska renovates Hydropower Plant in the Österdal River in Sweden
- Cimic's CPB Contractors selected for Monash Freeway Upgrade in Australia