Salini Impregilo won best global water project prize for its Abu Hamour tunnel built in Doha, Qatar. The recognition was awarded to the Group, a global leader in the water sector, from Engineering News Record (ENR) that each year publishes its top international contractor rankings.
The "Best Water Project" award, for the construction of a 9.5 km water collection tunnel was collected during the 2017 Global Best Project Award ceremony in New York. The project was commissioned by Qatar's Public Works Authority (ASHGHAL). It is one of the Country's key efforts for improving infrastructure of Doha's metropolitan area. It is, in fact, the main contract completed in the last few years and part of a larger re-modernization of Qatar's rainwater and underground water draining and collection system.
The tunnel, by connecting to the existing system, will drain an area of approximately 170 m2. It links to a single pumping station with a 19 m3/sec capacity built to eliminate the dozens of pumping stations located in various city locations and to reduce maintenance and operating costs.
Abu Hamour is Qatar's first major underground tunnel. To build it, Salini Impregilo employed a specialized workforce from Italy and from dozens of other countries. The project began in January 2013 and was completed last January, according to schedule.
Source: Salini Impregilo
- Vale begins Construction of Bridge that will restore Traffic between Communities and Downtown Brumadinho
- Cimic Group's CPB Contractors wins APLNG Gas Works
- World’s first all-in-one wet Processing System to be revealed at bauma
- Strabag awarded Contract to build a Section of the D35 Motorway in the Czech Republic
- bauma 2019: Normet Ground Control and Construction Technologies