- Follow-up order ensures clean drinking water for another 89,000 people in the Volta region
- Contract value of € 11.5 million
The European-based construction group STRABAG has begun work on the further expansion of the water supply network in the Volta region around 160 km northeast of Ghana’s capital of Accra. The project will provide another 89,000 people with access to clean drinking water. The contract is worth around € 11.5 million and is scheduled for completion by July 2022.
“This third project phase, like the first two, is being financed by an Austrian bank and secured by Oesterreichische Kontrollbank (OeKB) through a combined export guarantee. With so-called soft loans, sustainable projects being carried out by Austrian companies are financed at favourable terms. These are used as ‘door openers’ with the aim of generating follow-up business in the foreseeable future. We are pleased that we can contribute our expertise in water infrastructure to help improve Ghana’s water supply,” says Thomas Birtel, CEO of STRABAG SE.
The current contract is the third phase in a series of projects that has been running since the autumn of 2012 with an overall contract value of around € 27.5 million for the design, delivery and construction of a functionally safe water supply system including a drinking water treatment plant and a distribution network that will benefit a total of 170,000 people. This third phase comprises:
- 23 km of water supply lines
- 147 km distribution network
- 160 tapping points (standpipes for several houses for common use)
- three water towers with a volume of 50 m3 each
- one water tower with a volume of 160 m3
- one underground water reservoir (240 m3) with pumping station and photovoltaic system
OeKB financing guarantees highest safety and environmental standards
Soft loans, significantly more affordable than loans at market conditions, help to support the Austrian export industry with the aim of contributing to the sustainable development of structurally weak recipient countries. Funding is provided for developmentally sound projects that are not financially viable but which sustainably improve infrastructure, for example in the fields of healthcare, water, education or disaster control. Strict award criteria ensure that the highest safety and environmental requirements are met.
STRABAG SE is a European-based technology partner for construction services, a leader in innovation and financial strength. Our services span all areas of the construction industry and cover the entire construction value chain. We create added value for our clients by our specialised entities integrating the most diverse services and assuming responsibility for them. We bring together people, materials and machinery at the right place and at the right time in order to realise even complex construction projects – on schedule, of the highest quality and at the best price. The hard work and dedication of our more than 75,000 employees allow us to generate an annual output volume of around € 16 billion. At the same time, a dense network of numerous subsidiaries in many European countries and on other continents is helping to expand our area of operation far beyond the borders of Austria and Germany.
- Strabag feiert Tunneldurchstich im Gadertal in Südtirol
- Innsbrucker Kommunalbetriebe und BBT SE errichteten neues Unterwerk im Ahrental
- Strabag Consortium awarded Contract for D55 Motorway in Czech Republic
- STRABAG baut Wasserversorgungssystem in Ghana weiter aus
- Strabag macht österreichischen Karawanken-Eisenbahntunnel für weitere 30 Jahre fit