- Contract extensions for the Candelaria Norte and El Teniente mines
- Züblin involved in these projects for 16 and 30 years respectively
With two new tunnelling contracts for the Candelaria Norte and El Teniente mines, the Strabag Group is further advancing its successful mining business in Chile. The contracts have a total value of around € 283 million.
Candelaria Norte: 16 years, 140 km of tunnel
Through its subsidiary Züblin, the company has spent the last 16 years developing the copper ore mine in the Atacama region, 650 km north of the capital Santiago. During this time, 140 km of tunnels have been built, and a further 40 km are to be constructed in the coming three-year contract period on behalf of client Lundin Mining. The new contract also includes the loading and transport of more than 3 million tonnes of rock.
El Teniente: Züblin involvement for 30 years
Züblin has been working for the client, the National Copper Corporation of Chile (CODELCO), at the El Teniente copper mine since 1992. The new two-year contract includes, among other things, the development of a tunnel system with a length of 13.4 km on different levels, 1,503 m of vertical shafts, and other infrastructure work. “Our specialists have been doing an excellent job in Chile for decades and have made a significant contribution to consolidating our leading position in mining on the Chilean market,” says Thomas Birtel, CEO of Strabag SE.
Züblin has been present in Chile since 1987 and today is active in the infrastructure, tunnelling and mining sectors. The company is currently working on seven major projects in Chile, including mining projects in Chuquicamata, Candelaria and El Teniente as well as laying 140 foundations for the largest wind farm in South America with a projected output of 778 MW in 2024. After its completion, the wind farm will cover the energy needs of around 700,000 households.
Source: Strabag SE
- A first in Liechtenstein: Bauer Spezialtiefbau successfully completes Dam Rehabilitation
- Fugro partners with EMODnet to advance Ocean Sustainability in Europe
- IWiM hosts successful inaugural International Day of Women in Mining
- First Nations’ Talent shines at State Mining Awards
- Beumer Group acquires full Control of the FAM Group of Magdeburg