- Single-track line between Püspökladány and Biharkeresztes to be electrified, bottlenecks removed and stations renovated
- € 132 million contract awarded to SR 2019 consortium (Strabag’s share: 45.34 %)
- Electrification of the line should again enable an average speed of 100 km/h
Strabag, the European-based technology partner for construction services, has been awarded the contract to upgrade an approximately 55 km long railway line in Hungary. The SR 2019 consortium, of which the Hungarian subsidiary Strabag Rail Kft. holds a 45.34 % stake, has been executing the € 132&million contract from NIF, the Hungarian national infrastructure development company, from October this year. The 55 km single-track section between Püspökladány and Biharkeresztes is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2022.
“The condition of this section of track has deteriorated considerably in recent years, and on many sections of the line the diesel locomotives currently in use are restricted to speeds between 40 km/h and 80 km/h. The aim is to electrify the entire section and restore a speed of 100 km/h throughout,” explains Thomas Birtel, CEO of Strabag SE.
Track work and barrier-free platforms
In order to raise the maximum axle load to 225 kN, the substructure will be reinforced over large areas of the line and track will be re-laid. The entire section will be equipped with a new electronic safety system. The contract also covers station renovation works, including the installation of five barrier-free platforms at four stations. All stations will receive improved ambient lighting and will be connected to the central traffic control system.
Source: Strabag SE
- Implenia and Stangeland selected to build Motorway E39 Lyngdal in Norway
- Strabag SE: Rekordauftragsbestand, leichte Erholung der Bauleistung 2021
- Railway Line moved to make Way for Metro
- Implenia to build one of the World’s deepest Metro Stations
- Cimic’s Leighton Asia and Broad Construction secure $100M in Project Wins