In the course of the visit to China by the German Minister of Economy and Energy, Sigmar Gabriel, a contract was signed yesterday in Kunshan (Jiangsu Province) for the delivery of two tunnel boring machines for a large multifunctional tunnel in Wuhan (central China).
Dr.-Ing. E.h. Martin Herrenknecht together with Federal Minister Sigmar Gabriel, the German Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China Michael Clauss and Mr. Yu Xuanping, General Manager of STEC (from left to right). Photo: Frank Ossenbrink
The twowith an excavation diameter of 15.76 m to be supplied by Herrenknecht will cross under the Yangtze River in Wuhan and create a twin-bore double-decker tunnel. A three-lane road will run on the upper deck, with metro line 7 below.
The 2,590 meter long tunnel alignment runs up to 39.5 meters below the water surface in extremely complex soil. On the one hand, a high water pressure of 5.3 bar must be dealt with. In addition, the tunnel runs through varying geological formations, partly completely sand and clay, partly a mixed geology with mudstone, conglomerates and sand.
With its size and multipurpose use the construction represents a major reference project for mechanized tunnelling worldwide.
The 10 million metropolis of Wuhan is the most important transport hub in central China. By 2017 the metro network of 3 lines will be extended to 7, from the current 73 km to 215 km in length.
In the past customer Shanghai Tunnel Engineering Co., Ltd. (STEC) has already realized several large-scale projects very successfully with Herrenknecht equipment, usually months ahead of schedule.
- Metso Outotec to supply Copper Solvent Extraction and electrowinning Technology to US
- Epiroc wins large Mining Equipment Order in China
- Implenia signs Agreement to sell Austrian Building Construction unit to ZECH Bau Austria GmbH
- Setting the Anchor on Poland’s Baltic Coast - fischer heavy-duty Fixings secure Świna Tunnel
- Anker gesetzt an Polens Ostseeküste - fischer Schwerlastbefestigungen sichern Swinetunnel